The Frontierado holiday is coming up fast – on Friday, August 3rd, in fact, so the frequency of my Frontierado posts is going to increase. Today we’ll revisit the rules of Frontierado Poker for newbies to the holiday.
Here are the rules for Frontierado Poker, the game that is strictly my own invention to go along with my holiday Frontierado.
1. Remove all face cards from the deck. The game is played with a 40-card deck.
2. Every player antes up. (I’m not advocating gambling. You can decide for yourselves what you play for.)
3. Each player is dealt 4 cards (the deal rotates like in many conventional poker games).
4. Every player MUST discard at least one card to be replaced. It is up to them which. As usual a player can keep or replace as many additional cards as they like.
5. The traditional method for folds, bets and raises applies.
6. Every player’s low hold card is absolutely wild, and can be any numerical value, color or suit the player wishes in order to give them the best hand. THIS ELEMENT CAN BE OMITTED FOR HARDCORE POKER PLAYERS WHO PREFER TRADITIONAL STRATEGY AND DON’T WANT ANY CARDS TO BE WILD.
7. The best hand wins. Obviously in this game there is no Full House or Royal Flush possible since players hold only 4 cards and there are no face cards. A straight is simply 4 straight.
Coming soon: another Frontierado recipe.