This time around Balladeer’s Blog will be examining the incredibly detailed end of the world scenario presented in Hal Lindsey’s 1970 book The Late Great Planet Earth. The book’s interpretation of Biblical “prophecies” in terms of contemporary geopolitical events was so thoroughly researched that it still provides good reading fun as pure escapist fiction. The book was a phenomenal hit and was later made into a documentary (snicker) narrated by Orson Welles in his “anything for money” phase.
Here is a brief outline of the way in which Lindsey’s book depicted the End Times:
1. The Antichrist, posing as a human politician, finally brings peace to the eternal problem child of the world, the Middle East. This accomplishment enhances his political influence a hundredfold.
2. A Third Temple is built in Jerusalem to mark the bringing of peace to the region.
3. 42 months later the Antichrist ascends the steps of this Third Temple for a worldwide press conference. He declares himself to be God incarnate and demands worship from all the people of Earth.
4. The Antichrist begins oppressing non-believers as all wackadoodle religions inevitably do.
5. An “Arab- African Confederacy” launches an invasion of Israel as a paniced reaction to all this.
6. The Soviet Union (lol) enters the fray via an amphibious invasion of Israel and Egypt coupled with a land assault from the north.
7. The Antichrist unites all the nations of Europe into a new Roman Empire and forms an alliance with China against the Soviets and their satellite states.
8. China attacks the Soviet Union’s forces from the east while the Antichrist’s new, improved, lemon-fresh Roman Empire attacks the Soviets from the west.
9. The U.S. tips the scales in the stalemate that results, joining forces with Roman Empire II, leading to the utter annihilation of the Arab-African Confederacy and the Soviet Union. The nuclear devastation of all Russia is thrown in, too.
10. The Antichrist leads his remaining forces against the Chinese armies, and after much maneuvering they wage the Battle of Armageddon in the Megiddo Valley.
11. Both armies eventually grow desperate for victory and launch their combined nuclear arsenals, with enough firepower to wipe out all life on Earth.
12. Jesus Christ returns from the skies, riding a white horse and leading the armies of Heaven. He halts the nuclear weapons and kicks major butt as the conflict spreads to include all the nations of the Earth.
13. Jesus and the Heavenly Legions emerge triumphant over the forces of evil, and all Earthly governments have collapsed into anarchy.
14. The Antichrist is thrown into a lake of fire, Jesus undertakes judgement of all the souls on Earth, then rules over a united, peaceful world for a thousand years.
15. At the end of that Millenium, Satan is unbound from Hell and the final clash between him and the forces of goodness result in the devil’s final defeat. Earth and/or the entire physical universe is destroyed and for the rest of eternity the good souls dwell in Heaven and the wicked souls suffer in Hell.
FOR MORE END OF THE WORLD MYTHS CLICK HERE: https://glitternight.com/category/end-of-the-world-myths/