BENJAMIN HARRISON – Motto: “What this country needs right now is a man whose grandfather was president barely a month before dying.” *** Nickname: Baby McKee’s Grandfather *** Pro: Was the president who first had the White House wired for electricity. Con: His administration was slightly overshadowed by the press’ obsession with his terminally “cutesy” grandson, Baby McKee.
GROVER CLEVELAND, TERM 2 – Motto: “He’s back … deadlier and more powerful than ever before!” *** Nickname: Continue reading
SAINT CLAIR COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE SKIPPERS
Location: Port Huron, MI
Division: NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association)
Comment: You can insert your own Gilligan’s Island comment if you like, but I find the nickname Skippers to be Continue reading
15. JAMES BUCHANAN – Motto: ” A president every bit as lousy as Barack Obama and George W Bush!” *** Nickname: The Man Who Lost Half The Country *** Pro: Gave his name to the fictional high school on Welcome Back, Kotter. Con: More states seceded from the Union under him than under any other president.
16. ABRAHAM LINCOLN – Motto: “The guy who put the ’man’ in Great Emancipator!” *** Nickname: Continue reading
9. WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON – Motto: ” Never overstay your welcome.” *** Nickname: Bushitler *** Pro: Tried to establish a tradition of presidents dying barely a month into their term. Con: Delivered a two hour long inaugural address during an actual blizzard.
10. JOHN TYLER – Motto: “Because Tippecanoe and Tyler, Too made for one kick- ass campaign slogan!” *** Nickname: Continue reading
NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) DIVISION ONE – 1. CAL STATE-SAN MARCOS COUGARS ### 2. FREED-HARDEMAN UNIVERSITY LIONS ### 3. UNIVERSITY OF PIKEVILLE BEARS ### 4. TALLADEGA COLLEGE TORNADOES ### 5. WILLIAM CAREY UNIVERSITY CRUSADERS ### 6.SOUTHWESTERN ASSEMBLIES OF GOD UNIVERSITY LIONS (2013 runners-up)
NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) DIVISION TWO – 1. CARDINAL STRITCH UNIVERSITY WOLVES (2013 champions) ### 2. DORDT COLLEGE DEFENDERS ### 3. INDIANA UNIVERSITY SOUTHEAST GRENADIERS (2013 runners-up) ### 4. SAINT XAVIER UNIVERSITY COUGARS ### 5. COLLEGE OF IDAHO COYOTES ### 6. Continue reading
5. JAMES MONROE – Motto: “I’m sick of hearing about how John Quincy Adams was the real author of The Monroe Doctrine” *** Nickname: The Furnituregate Mastermind *** Pro: Bought Florida from Spain, ensuring America would have a long, phallic peninsula dangling off our mainland. Con: Got elected president despite being a slave-owner from Virginia … hey, wait a minute!
6. JOHN QUINCY ADAMS – Motto: “No slaves, no tact, no problem!” *** Nickname: Mr Television *** Pro: Was Continue reading
Previously Balladeer’s Blog examined three of the neglected tales from the Epic Cycle which dealt with the Trojan War. First came Cypria, then after skipping The Iliad because of how well-known it is I moved on to Aethiopis and then last week I examined Iliad Minor.
SACK OF TROY aka Sack of Ilion is credited to Arktinos of Miletos in the 770′s BCE. The previous epic Iliad Minor wrapped up with the Greek warriors springing out of the Trojan Horse and at last triumphing over King Priam and his Trojans. Sack of Troy rehashes a few story elements, backing up to cover the construction of the Trojan Horse and the Trojans ignoring the prophet Cassandra’s warnings about the Horse. New elements are the arguments the Continue reading
In honor of the upcoming President’s Day Holiday weekend seven days from now Balladeer’s Blog now presents some of my quick takes on each of the 44 men who have stayed one step ahead of the law while occupying the office.
1. GEORGE WASHINGTON – Motto – “Screw taking a salary, just bill ‘em outrageously for your expenses!” *** Nickname: The First Lady of Broadway *** Pro: Established the precedent of stepping down after 2 terms max. Con: Owned other human beings.
2. JOHN ADAMS – Motto – Continue reading
Thank you once again to Balladeer’s Blog’s Official Movie Hostess, Casey James! It’s no secret that Casey is one of the most desired women on the planet but she was kind enough to take a break from stealing the hearts of her countless admirers to help present another look at bad and weird movies.
THE SECRET OF DORIAN GRAY (1970) – A terrific idea was blown in this hilariously flawed attempt to adapt Oscar Wilde’s Picture of Dorian Gray to swinging 60′s London. Helmut Berger, who was sort of a Continue reading